About transfer

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Vishal Tyagi Vishal Tyagi 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Zhifeng Yu

Hi, my name is Zhifeng Yu. I am going to be the freshman of University of Washington this fall. I am hoping I can transfer to another university after the freshman year, but I am not familiar the transfer possess. I hope I can get some advices here.

Here are some details about me:

Desired colleges: Stanford University, Duke University, Northwestern University, University of Michigan, Harvard University(optional).

SAT score: reading: 660. Maths: 770.

Hight school GPA: in my country, we didn’t use the GPA calculation but the percentage instead.  Mine was 94/100

Personal experiences or activities: I was once the professional badminton player and won the state champion of badminton in my country and also many awards about badminton competition.  Also, I had studied in Singapore as an exchange high school student for 1 year. When I was in Singapore, I had been a MC of the national riddle competition and joined the marketing club which runs some convenient store in school. I was member of the management group.

These are some experience I had before.

So, is there any advice from any one. I look forward to and appreciate it.

Thank you

Zhifeng Yu

By the way, I like Stanford particularly and am currently taking the summer course at Stanford. Would this experience be helpful to transfer to Stanford

Lan Ngo
    Keymaster

Hi, Zhifeng.  Thanks for posting in our forum.

First, I suggest expanding the list of schools that you’re going to apply to.  We always suggest applying to a wide range of schools to increase the likelihood that you’ll end up at a school that is a good fit for you.

Second, as a transfer applicant, your record at the University of Washington will be more important than what you did as a high school student.  The best thing you can do to make yourself a solid applicant is to get an A in all of your classes at the the University of Washington.  Make sure to get an A in your summer course at Stanford.  It’s hard to say that just taking a summer course at Stanford will help with your transfer application there because competition for transferring to Stanford is intense according to the tiny percentage of transfer applicants that are actually admitted.

Hope this helps!

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Lan’s 100% correct when it comes to focusing on your GPA, it’s the most important thing if you’re trying to transfer to highly selective schools like Stanford.

The other thing I would add is to try and figure out what you want to major in relatively early. If you have a good sense of what you want to study, that clarifies a lot of things. For example, it will help you choose which colleges you want to transfer to (ones with good department(s) in your major), and taking classes at a high level in your major early on is a good indicator to schools of (1) your sincere reasons for transferring (which should basically be because you want to transfer to really great schools in your chosen field) and (2) your general academic potential.

Let us know if you have any follow-up questions!

Zhifeng Yu

Thank you for all the replies.

I want to major in business or marketing, but I dont know which university offers a decent program for my major. The only thing I am sure is that UW doesnt offer a competitive program for my major. So, can any one give me some advice so that I can expand my list of colleges I want to apply.

Thank you again

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

If you’re interested in business/marketing, you should focus on schools with strong undergraduate business schools. I recommend taking a look at Business Week’s rankings of undergraduate business schools. You want to focus on undergraduate business school rankings because a lot of top business schools don’t offer Bachelor’s-level programs. For example, Stanford and Harvard don’t.

Depending on how serious you are about marketing, you might want to look in particular at the marketing rankings. The link above lets you sort by the rankings by the strength of each particular program at each school.

Your research shouldn’t end with just looking at rankings though. To do further research, I would also think about who are some of the top thinkers in marketing and see where they teach, or what particular assets each school has. Who would you want to study with? Does any school have a particular program or resource that you want to use? Being able to name specific professors you want to study with or assets a school has will help you a lot when it comes to making your case for transferring.

Students who are interested in business and who are studying at Stanford or Harvard usually major in liberal arts fields that have some relation to business. Economics is the big one.

Lan Ngo
    Keymaster

I just wanted to add to Chris’ last point: “Students who are interested in business and who are studying at Stanford or Harvard usually major in liberal arts fields that have some relation to business. Economics is the big one.”

Even if you end up not majoring in business, your university might let you take classes at the business school, whether it’s a b-school just for grad students or one for both grad students and undergrads, or you can take classes that have relations with the b-school. I remember when I was an undergrad at Stanford, I took a seminar whose advisor was a professor at the b-school (and another advisor was a professor from Stanford’s amazing Institute of Design).

Zhifeng Yu

Thank you for all the advises. I have one more question: How to get A in college?

possimpible

Zhifeng, I’m not sure if you’ve read up other threads, but this book called “How to be a straight a student” by Cal Newport has been introduced a few times by Chris. It is pretty straight-forward; and it is also gold.

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Thanks @possimpible! Here’s the link to the book: How to Become a Straight-A Student

Zhifeng Yu

Hi, guys, could anyone tell me where to find out the time that reveals the decision of transfer application or the usual time for that?  Thank you

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

For the more selective schools, the transfer decisions come out in May, about two months after the application deadlines.

The main exception are the University of California schools, whose deadlines are November 30.

Zhifeng Yu

Thank you for your reply. It’s very helpful. I have a question about one of the essays in the application of Harvard: what’s alternatives to transferring to Harvard are you considering? Does this mean that what would I do if my application fails or which colleges I am applying other than Harvard?

Thank you for any reply . I look forward  to it.

Vishal Tyagi
    Participant

Hello Guys, Here I am in the quest for best portal for https://foxdownload.org free online web browser. This web browser is the best browser for surfing and the speed of this browser is too fast. You can work easily on this web browser and provide you the exact results for your search. You can get this web browser online easily by the link provided to you. Once go for this web browser.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...