This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Diane Diane 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #340
    Avatar of Quiarrah

    My parents are refusing to help pay for my college, they also won’t give me their financial info so that I can apply for FAFSA, what can i do to get help paying for college? I’m looking at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ but not seeing anything that is helpful. TIA!

    Avatar of Diane

    Hi, I’m a former financial aid advisor in the UC system. Unfortunately, you really need to get your parents to give you their financial information to fill out the FAFSA as long as you’re under 24. You can tell them that providing the information for the FAFSA in no way means that they are committing to helping you pay for college, guaranteeing your loans, or anything like that. Not completing the FAFSA disqualifies you from grants, federal loans, and some scholarships.

    Alternatively, you can declare yourself independent (eliminating the need to have your parent’s information), in certain cases, for example, if you’re married or have your own (legal) dependents. See this article for a list of cases where you can be an independent: http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/699-fafsa-and-the-independent-student.

    Hope that helps!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...