general questions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Chris Goodmacher Chris Goodmacher 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    abcdefgh
    Participant

1. How do I approach possible recommenders to support me without offending them? If I’m not successful, I will still need them in the future to recommend me again. The overall vibe I’m getting from my school is a lack of support towards students who want to leave.

2. I have different academic and career goals for different schools. Since the Common App supports multiple versions, is it advisable to create multiple versions of my essay to avoid implying that I’m simply trying to transfer to a better-ranked school (when that isn’t necessarily true)?

3. My main reason in transferring is to access an academic environment more suited to my needs (one in which students are focused and set realistic and impressive goals) Do I seem immature if I’m still uncertain about my academic and career goals, about which many transfer applications inquire?

4. One of the schools I’m applying to I was deferred from and waitlisted at. Even though I still really love this school, do I seem desperate for wanting to reapply?

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

1. Short version: just ask as nicely as possible, don’t focus on the negatives of your current school, but focus on what you want to study and the opportunities you want to pursue at the schools you’re applying to.

2. Absolutely yes.

3. It really depends on how you talk about it in your essay. Coming off as unsure of what you want to study isn’t a deal-breaker, but ideally, you should be able to say what you want to study and why the school you’re applying to is a better place to pursue that study.

4. Not at all, it’s not uncommon for a student to apply more than once to a school, and sometimes they get in!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...