I NEED to transfer but don't know if it's worth it

Free Resources for Transferring Colleges Forums Four-Year Transfers I NEED to transfer but don't know if it's worth it

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of lunargrass lunargrass 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    lunargrass
    Participant

Hi all,

I am a first-year student at a private liberal arts college. I have made many friends and I like my professors so that’s not the problem, so on the surface everything seems great. But what I am hiding from everyone is that I am absolutely miserable here. I had a sneaking suspicion I would hate it when I cried all summer about it but everyone kept telling me to suck it up and ignore it because “everyone feels that way.” And guess what, I was right. No, actually, I love the people I’ve met here, but I simply cannot see myself staying here. I don’t want to go into details but I can’t stay here for personal reasons, and I feel like I can’t tell anyone because I am afraid they will inevitably make it a political issue.

My parents forced me to attend because this was the only school that offered enough financial aid. When I hinted to my mother that I didn’t want to go here she tried to convince me that I’d end up liking it anyway. After a semester I strongly suspect that will never be the case. Academically, I made the perfect choice; but personally, I made the worst choice someone like me could have possibly made. I told her that I wanted to transfer recently and she seemed more receptive to the idea, but I am afraid that if I transferred somewhere it would be a “step down” from where I am now (I am a good but not great student – 3.8 high school GPA and many extracurriculars, but I’m not sure about my college grades yet and I couldn’t find time to join clubs this semester) and I would get too little financial aid to attend. I am going to be so busy next semester that I am afraid I don’t want the extra burden of transfer applications on my plate.

Further complicating matters is that my school has an “open curriculum” where I have no requirements and I can basically take whatever I want. I was so convinced I wanted science when I got here that I took almost nothing but science courses, and I am afraid that the longer I stay here the harder it will be to transfer to an institution that has required classes.

Should I transfer? Will it be worth it for me? Will it be worth it for my family?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...