Transfer chance

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of angel angel 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hello!

I am a student from City University of Hong Kong.

Through china’s national entrance exam, I got the chance to study in HK with schoolarship since 2010.

Before this year, universities in HK are all 3-year system, so I will be a year2 student in the coming semester.(The first year for mainland students is called Foundation Year)

I really want to transfer to a US college. It is a decision that took me quite a long time to make. However, I know the chance is really low and I haven’t done any SAT before. (Though some of them don’t require SAT.)

Time is quite limited and I have no experience. The one-to-one seems good but some items I cannot fill in, so hope to get some advice from you first.

Thanks !!

Hope to get some advice from you.

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Hi @asuka!

It’s not too uncommon, and it is doable. I want to reach out to some people that may know a bit more than me about transferring from HK before I answer though; I’ll respond more fully soon!

Anyone else have any advice though??

Anonymous

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to your advice.

If any more information needed, please inform me.

luying Z

Hey asuka, what are the universities you are interested in? I’m a student from Renmin University of China and I’m going to apply for tranfer 2013 as well.

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Sorry for the delay asuka! I thought I knew someone who knew someone, but I don’t.

Hopefully you and @luying3636 might be able to help each other a bit?

I’ll chime in if I think of anything, thanks for sticking around!

luying Z

I actually have a question that I hope @Chris Goodmacher could throw some light upon: I am planning to transfer as an incoming Junior, but I have already started my junior year now. I spent the second semester of my sophomore year and will finish the first semester of my junior year abroad ( at UC Davis). Since most of the classes required by my home university are not offered at UC Davis, I would have to take an extra year if I decided to stick with my home university to graduate. ( but that’s not the main reason why I want to transfer.)

I just want to know if my current junior standing would make me ineligible to apply or bring down my chances.

Thanks for your time to answer my question.

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Unfortunately, I can’t give a simple “yes, you’re ineligible” or “no, you’re fine” answer. School policies vary a lot, so what I would do is either email or call some of the schools you’re interested in and just ask.

For some schools, you’ll have no problems; for others, you might.

Let me know if you have any follow-ups!

luying Z

Thank you for your reply, Chris! So I emailed Cornell and Brown quite a while ago.  Both of these 2 schools basically said: students like me are discouraged to apply since  transfer students are required to enroll for 2 years in transfer-in schools before graduation. I am aware that and I would be willing to retake my junior year if accepted. Quick question: Did they actually mean my current standing will make my application extremely difficult ( even worse, they would put me at the bottom in the review process)?

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

I think you should just be up front and ask them. Sometimes they don’t give you a straight answer, but sometimes they can be surprisingly honest.

If you haven’t told them already, tell them you’re willing to stay the two years regardless of the number of credits you have.

Then ask them what they mean when they say you’re discouraged from applying. Does it mean your junior status is viewed as a negative when they review your application, or does it even mean you don’t really have any chance at all?

It might be tough/painful to ask them, but you need to get solid answers to these questions, otherwise you’ll just waste time guessing.

luying Z

Thanks for the heads up, Chris=) I’ll keep your suggestions in mind and keep you posted once I hear back from other schools.

luying Z

Hi Chris,

Columbia and Cornell confirmed that I am ineligible=(. I was wondering if you know any schools in the top50 tier which do admit or at least consider students with junior standing.

In addition, because the course requirements of my home university and UCD don’t match, I am going to extend the bachelor degree beyond 4 years anyways. Will this fact help?

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Well, at least now you know, right?

I’ve heard Dartmouth might be more accepting of taking in transfer students with a lot of credits, but you would have to check. Depending on how picky you are, I would just email (or even better, call) every single school you might be interested in, explain your situation clearly, and ask.

The fact that you’re going to have to do at least five years anyway probably won’t make much of a difference. BUT each school has it’s own policy, so you need to check with each one.

Hope that helps! Please continue to let us know what you hear. I don’t see a lot of students who try to transfer during or after junior year, but I do see a few, so it would good to know how schools feel about this issue (nevermind all the readers of this forum who might use this information).

angel

Hi, Luying!

So excited to find a RUCer here! I am also planning to transfer to an American University in 2013 fall. As far as I know, nearly all top universities would prefer that prospect transfer students be in their sophomore year. But I remember some have policies that seem to have no bias against junior students. You’ll have visit the main page of the schools one by one, I suppose.

Good luck!

My qq is 632006244, if you’d like to chat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...