Transferring from Villanova

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Vishal Tyagi Vishal Tyagi 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Poseidon0124

I am a current freshman at Villanova Business school. When I first started looking at colleges I focused on good business schools, and was accepted to Villanova, Pitt, American, Richmond, waitlisted at Notre Dame. I was also rejected from Georgetown, but the interview went very badly as the lady was more interested about talking about herself and I hardly talked, and I knew that the interview process was important.

Regardless I am not very happy here do to the general blandness of the student body. There is no where really to party, but that isn’t really what bugs me the most. I was told that this school was one of the best, and it doesn’t feel like it. The only reason why I am busy academically is because I picked up 19 credits voluntarily, and my 5 credit Ancient Greek Class is the hardest, the one I opted into. I am from Pittsburgh, and wanted something different. I am not sure is there are just freshman problems, but am S-I-C-K of people not being impressed the fact that I go here, and I think I see why. I feel like  was cheated out of my college experience, and I want better. Any advice would be very appreciated.

I am most likely going to finish this first semester with a 3.8-ish, have a 32 act and a 3.8 highschool GPA(unweighted).

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

Feeling that the rest of the student body you’re at is going at a different pace than you is a common (maybe the most common?) reason a lot of students transfer from a four-year school: college should be a place where you’re pushing yourself intellectually, otherwise what’s the point?

Briefly, here’s my advice:

(1) Get straight-As. It’s the most important thing in transfer admissions, and it makes it so much easier to get into top schools. If you’re not sure how to spend your time, just make sure you get As.

(2) Think about how you might be able to challenge yourself at Villanova. Maybe classes aren’t that challenging, but there’s other ways to push yourself. Here are a couple of extracurriculars you could do: volunteer to help a professor working on interesting stuff with their research or with writing an article, start a club/org, or even start a company.

There are two directions you could take if you do any of the above: (a) you might find that you’ve satisfied your interests and abilities enough that you don’t want to transfer anymore, which is great, or (b) you’ve given yourself an amazing EC to write about in your transfer application. Either way, it’s win-win.

Hope that helps! Post any follow-ups!

Poseidon0124

Well I just received my grades and i am and crushed to say i finished with a 3.45. It turns out my statistics teachers is the hardest in the school, and i was told by my cousiler that to take my B and be thankful. I also bombed my ancient greek final, and finihsed with a B+.

Does this dash my hopes of transfereing and being in a new school for Fall 13?

Lan Ngo
    Keymaster

You can still apply to transfer. Choose a mix of different schools. The incoming class of transfer students each year at each school consists of a variety of students. You may just fit into the mix somehow for fall 2013, so go for it!

Poseidon0124

Thank you so much. But just to clarify you are saying my chances are still decent for a transfer to a quality school?

Chris Goodmacher
    Keymaster

It really depends on what you mean by “quality school.” What schools were you looking at?

A lot of schools post minimum GPAs to apply to transfer as well as the average GPA of accepted transfer applicants. Take a look here on Transferweb and at each school’s site to see the numbers!

btknight17

Hey Poseidon,

So much in common. I’m also a freshman attempting to transfer out of VSB, sending out apps to many places including ND (Where i was waitlisted/rejected as a senior).
    Though the people are great, our students are a combination of notre dame, boston college, georgetown and upenn rejects (myself included). hopefully we both end up at schools we feel better suit us. Good luck throughout the app process.

To Chris/Lan, thanks for making this site. you have the best resources for prospective transfers.

Lan Ngo
    Keymaster

Just to provide a specific example, if you want to apply to the business school at American University, the minimum GPA requirement is 2.5. If you have a 3.45 GPA, you’re above the minimum, meaning that you have a shot.

See info on American University: http://transferweb.com/college/american-university/#.UPJDaegk9E4

Poseidon0124

How am I supposed to go about asking for letters of recommendation?

Vishal Tyagi
    Participant

Hello Guys, You will be glad to know that here we are going to provide you the best portal for tanktrouble.xyz free online games and these games are tanks games. These games are the best games to play online and to have great fun. You can play these games without facing any type of error or language barrier. These games can be played according to your preference and these games are the best platform for entertainment as I have played these games. Once go for these games.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Here's the Full Story on Transferring to the College You Want

The Transfer Book

Students have used the books to transfer to Yale, Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, and Wharton/Penn (among many, many others).

Real essays and stats that students have used to transfer to Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and more.

45-day 100% money-back guarantee

Click here to continue...